CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Is Nappy another "N" word we shouldn't use?

Say it loud I am black and I am proud 60's


Jherri curl kit the 80's

Minstrel Show Mammy




nap·py
Audio Help (nāp'ē) Pronunciation Key adj. nap·pi·er, nap·pi·est
Having a nap; fuzzy: a nappy carpet.
Often Offensive Tightly curled or coiled. Used of hair.




Look at the definition of nappy according to the American Heritage Dictionary. "Often Offensive" Wow, offensive to whom. .Why do some African Americans and others still cringe at the sight of natural hair? I don't have a problem with hair styles but I do have a problem with feelings of disgust that some may have for African Americans and anything that is inherently natural for us as people such as skin tone or shades of our skin and our naturally curly hair.For some people it may be a sign of rebellion instead of a natural god given pure place of origination. We constantly give people the right to define us and use their"special words" or not so special for us. "Nappy" that's not cute?In my opinion you cant make that word any more positive as some seem to think. It is just as offensive and is meant to insult you into taking some action toward fixing your "natural" hair. Remember you go for your retouch the stylist says "girl your hair is nappy". Translation : glad you here so we can fix it up. Is there a special word for straight? Oh sometimes we use the word silky for straight. Hmmm!




I was reading the latest post on Blaqkofi and she said something that grabbed my attention. I tend to be a scanner of blogs so as I was scanning I read "It's natural to be natural". That concept is liberating if you think about it.Then I started to think about how people write how they are happy to be nappy and refer to their hair as nappy but to many people nappy has a negative connotation. Well guess what I am happy to be natural. I have curly hair and not offensive hair. I don't have to explain my hair or my hair choices. I am not the hair police but if someone uses the "nappy word" when having a dialogue with me I will correct their terminology.


According to Marcus Garvey African Americans need to get the kinks out of their minds and not their head. Malcolm X , W. E. B Dubois , Cornell West and other scholars encouraged us to look at our beautiful black selves. It's natural to be great in school, it's natural to love your family, its natural to Love GOD our creator, it's natural to give to others and walk in love with the holy spirit, it's natural to be natural and that means loving everything about yourself flaws and all. A flaw can be a gift! Don't let others negativity define who you are because their definition will always be wrong. Just think of all the negative and wrong assumptions that are made daily about certain groups of people.

"Nappy" Offensive!! Huh!
What do you think?

0 comments: