CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 1, 2008

Just call me "Edward Scissor Hands" Somebody Stop Me


(Before the snip and the "BIG TRIM) Lots of relaxed ends! I started with only 2 inches of natural hair. I transitioned for almost 9 months before having my sisterlocks installed by Ms. Hill . (Creyole blogged about her before.)


I couldn't resist snipping some more. I am compulsive. I have to finish something once I start.(why doesn't this compulsiveness kick in at the gym?)I took off all the permed ends. I will get a final trim when I make a year. Wow look at this progress. I am only 7 months. I decided why keep an inch of perm so I just took the scissors the next day and continued snipping. So this is a side view. This is the back of my head. You can see just a few bunches on the ends and some curly ques. I looked fully locked. At 7months. After I snipped I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo and banded because I wasn't sure if any of the locks would unravel which is why you have to be careful when your snip. I retightened my back and my hairline because my hair tends to slip when washed.
This is the rest of my hair. Now the pictures reflect the relaxer that was placed in the sisterlock pattern as well. When I snipped before, I snipped only the loose ends that I could curl but this time I snipped where the natural hair and the relaxed hair in the pattern meet.(that pile of hair is mini sisterlocks done to my relaxed hair which never would have locked in the first place) Before snipping I had to feel where the locked hair stopped and snip at that point. I guess it is true that relaxed hair will never lock! I often wondered because people with straight hair lock their hair and I wondered if the permed ends would look like that when locked. Well at least for me it didn't.

Today I threw on my sundress and a cute lil bohemian bag that I draped across my shoulders and went to my doctor's appt and the grocery store with my wash and wear hair.I took a deep breath ,put on my black leather headband and spritzed and finger combed my hair. I had to keep telling myself that it is "natural to be natural" and "it's ok not to have straight hair" with my hair sticking up all over the place. I looked at some pics of "goodnaps(when she had shorter full locks)" and "southern girl" or just sisters with short cute hair .Wow I will have to take more deep breaths when it's time to go back to work. Our faculty have a retreat in a couple of weeks. I don't think anyone realized I had locks. I don't explain my hair to anyone. I think people thought maybe it was short micro braids. I get asked that a lot in public. Anyway I won't post for a minute until my hair does something like"GROW". I will post about my sister if she lets me take shots of her hair. She thinks I am lame!

7 months

6 comments:

Lalaboobaby said...

Thanks for showing some love on my blog. I've been following yours for some time now especially since you had permed hair like mine. Your locks are fabulous! I want mine to grow up to be just like yours (LOL).

FitLifeDiva said...

Next year this time you will have hair down your back ( I believe in speaking it in to existence!! lol) I look forward to getting new glasses every year. I go to eyemasters in the mall...I'm not sure what they have in Dallas..but I have to wait for a new year because of the insurance. my 'scripts are STRONG whic them pricey (yeah im blind).

3girlsmomma said...

Penny, I got your comment about my being a "DIY quitter"... I know that you too are teasing me about it but WHATEVER... I CAN DO I just DON'T WANNA:}

BTW... your hair looks GREAT all natural without the remnents "chemical crack" or your "lye-ing years"

Maryee said...

Lovely before and after pics. I think if I took some scissors to my head, I'd go crazy. I used to cut on my hair alllll the time. I'm sure you've feeling a great weight off your shoulders removing the permed ends. I hope and pray the locked ends stay in tact. Looking good.

CardioBunny said...

Looking good. I remember falling in love with my locks all over again once I got rid of the permed ends. Oh, and I love the colored tips!

The tale of a painful journey before Sisterlocks said...

Your hair looks great, no more perm. Isn't it liberating. Keep us posted.