CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 1, 2009

My DIY Hair Ties" Giving Props to Dewdrop"

You can still see the parts a week later after retightenings.
Boring hair. Can't wait for some length and thickness.
My pitiful attempt at a hair tie. The end result
Locking the stretchable headband into 1 of the necklace things or ornaments.
You have to lock two of the stretchable headbands together to get the right size. I am just showing you how they look without any necklace things or buttons etc...
Things you need to make a hair tie. Those brown circles come three in a pack for $3.99.
This is the finished results of my hair ties. They serve the purpose. A combined total of $20.00 for all of them!!!!

Well I made these hair ties months ago when Dewdrop gave a detailed description of what to do and where to go and what to buy. I was really glad she did that because hair ties work best for me. I went to Michael's and went to the jewelry department during that time and bought things to make a necklace like the string she suggested. However that was too much work for me and the string was too thin so I had to throw it away. I found a better alternative! I went to the hair section in Target and bought those stretchable headbands and played with them and figured out how to use that instead. For the low cost of $3.99 ,I bought 6 of those black stretchable headbands(they come in a pack). In order to make a hair tie I interlock two of the stretchable headbands along with those necklace things. By the way those necklace things are only $3.99. The brown circular shaped ones came 3 in a pack. That shiny brown thing was $3.99 and the red heart thing was $3.99. Anyway if you want to make your own and never have to worry about something you want being sold out or the items no longer produced make your own.

I think I may go to a fabric store or another craft store like "Hobby Lobby" or Catherine's for large toggle like buttons. Maybe! I only use the hair ties when my hair is too curly and I want a pony puff. My preferred style is a simple leather headband. I see cute scarves in my future when I gain some length with my locks.

Thanks Dewdrop for the inspiration. You are always coming up with cute hairstyles and things to do. Nihuru is the hair color guru if anyone wants to color.

Check out dewdrops lock diary for a better detailed description. She gives a step by step "how to" in her Oct 2008 post.

9 comments:

z said...

Thanks for the props! Your hair ties look GREAT and i'm so excited for you! You've just inspired me because my ties w/ the thin strings are too thin for my hair now and I actually broke one of my clips yesterday because of it. I'm considering getting the thicker hair bands like you suggested and re-doing my hair ties because I need more support for my locks. Target you said? I will definitely go take a look.

Those pendant accessories are excellent for making hair ties. You have some really cute ones and make sure that from now on if you choose to buy more, that they are sturdy and won't snap in two. You are wonderful and thanks for sharing. God bless you!

TiffanyC said...

Penny your blog is wonderful!!! I'll be officually locked 4/03/09, and I too am starting out with permed ends, so I need all the guidance I can get. Keep up the great posts!!!

Docs Locs said...

Thanks for the tip!

Sooo less complicated than mine...and using easier to find materials too.

Guess I need to remind myself to KISS! (Keep it simple, stupid!)

z said...

Hi Penny! I finished my hair ties with the help of your tutorial so take a peek and let me know what you think: http://kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-diy-hair-ties-thanks-penny.html

JUST Euphoria said...

so totally off subject but what do you have your blog settings on in order to have your comments posted on your blog page?

msfullroller said...

I got to you from Dewdrop and I must say that you must have been sending vibes my way the day you posted this.

That same week one evening I was looking at the gazillion small ouchless bands I had wondering how I could make use of them. I found a 12-pack of the "mop"rings they call them on clearance for $1.00 and some med-long tubular beads also on clearance for $1.00. I looped the bands together to the size I wanted and to the ring & bead and wow a hairtie! Thanks for showing that you can use 2 rings on each end also. Since I've already have the ouchless bands I've can make these for $.25 or less a hairtie. Now that fits really nicely in my budget! Thanks for sharing!!

Penny said...

ThanKs for stopping by!
Euphoria I have no idea. didn't know they posted on the blog page. I guess I will have to check it out.
Thanks Tiffany!!

Dewdrop I looked at them. Of course they look great so now I have to take my little pitiful ties and hook em up.(make them fancy like yours)

Thanks ms fuller. I do try to keep it cheap.

LockedJewel7 said...

Omg....thanks for this post...as well as your compliment on my hair! I can wait to go to target to get some supplies :)....I'll be checking out Dewdrop's suggetion as well..you DIY'er are GREAT :)

Spicylocks said...

Your blog was very informative. I am looking to make my own hair ties as well. I found the instructions that you gave very easy to follow. Thank you so much.